For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Saturday, March 24, 2018

I Didn't March Today


I made this poster yesterday in anticipation of attending March for Our Lives in New York City today.  I was unable to make the trip this morning.  Initially, I was disappointed that I couldn't be a part of this historical event.  However, as I watch the non-stop coverage of the March for Our Lives event in our nation's capital,  I know that this is what I was meant to do today.  

I am so proud of the youth of our country that are participating in rallies against gun violence.  I am in awe of these young people who are fearless as they go up against the government and the NRA.  The pain and anger they feel propel them into action.  They are not intimidated by elected officials.  They do not believe adults who tell them change is impossible.  They speak with confidence and clarity on national television.  They grieve together and inspire each other.

I am now watching Martin Luther King Jr.'s granddaughter with tears at the hope in her eyes and the response of the crowd to this little girl who carries on the dreams of her grandfather.  I can so easily remember when I was a young teen who was untarnished by the world of adults.  I felt deeply about issues of my day.  I, too, was idealistic.  This is the way of the young.




The top-selling book of my teen years was Jonathan Livingston Seagull.  It was a story of a young seagull with big ambitions. He was determined to be more than an ordinary gull. Against the conventions of seagull society, he learns to fly higher and faster than any other gull.   I remember reading this book often and being inspired by its words.  I remember crying tears of joy for Jonathan as he learned to do the impossible.  

Here are some quotes from the book that apply to these young people today and in the coming days, months, and years as they too strive to accomplish what others feel is impossible:









These young people are choosing the kind of world they want to live in.  They have learned this the hard way.  They have been on the receiving end of gun violence and believe that they can overcome what others feel are incredible limitations.  They believe they are capable of being the force of change in this country.

I'm sure many people view these young people as idealistic yet unrealistic.  They may not believe these kids are capable of making a difference with lawmakers against the NRA.  A few weeks ago they were just high school students, yet today they have organized an incredibly moving rally of more than a million people.  Their message is well-spoken.  They are young but it is apparent that they are very powerful.  They are united in mission - from all parts of the country, from all ethnicities, from all economic backgrounds - to make America a safer place.   I can't wait to see what they are able to achieve in the weeks, months, and years to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment