For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Thursday, May 18, 2017

Becoming

My youngest child, Annie,  will graduate from college on Sunday.

When I look back on my life,  
the time after college until I became a mom
was very unique and special.

It was a time of "becoming".

There were:

challenges, fears, adventure, responsibilities, plans made and derailed, overwhelming happiness and heartache, uncertainty and doubts, feelings of accomplishment and pride, and unbelievable growth

and love.




Looking back on my these years, 
I was fortunate to have enjoyed going to work everyday.
I met many friends and spent time
socially with them after work was done.






I attended and took part in many weddings during those years.
Love came into my life in its own time.


When I found the right person, I knew it.


I did things I loved,


and always remembered to spend time with those I left behind at home.



I felt the comfort of pets.


I enjoyed my youth.  I never thought there would
be a time when I would have to watch what (and how much)
I eat.  Time has taught me otherwise.


I thought my fiance was dreamy.


When the time was right, I pledged my love and life to him.


We traveled and enjoyed our life together.














We built a life and a home.


And finally, we were fortunate to become parents 
and headed into another time in our lives.

A time full of: 


challenges, fears, adventure, responsibilities, plans made and derailed, overwhelming happiness and heartache, uncertainty and doubts, feelings of accomplishment and pride, unbelievable growth

and love.


It was a time of "becoming".





No comments:

Post a Comment