For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Friday, December 18, 2015

We Need a Little Christmas

I remember when I was in my early twenties, living in an apartment in Connecticut.  I was happy at my job.  I had lots of friends.  I had a cat of my own.  Still,  I always looked forward to going "home" at Christmas to a house with festive decorations, cookies galore, and my family.

My kids have dealt with some difficulties this year, so putting myself in their shoes,  I want to make our "home" a welcoming, festive place to be.
The thought of getting out all of the boxes of saved decorations from the past didn't excite me because - we all know - what comes out of the basement has to be packed away again in January.  And that's not fun.

I decided to make the decorating more than just removing things from boxes and placing them around the house.  I decided to make most of the decorations out of "natural" things.  No glitz and sparkle - just simple and warm.


Beginning with a fresh tree, I dried orange slices 
and hung them with red ribbon.


The garland was made with felted wool balls, 
with much of the wool coming from my dogs fur!


The house was filled with the aroma of cinnamon
when I was baking these cute scented ornaments.



I strung mini wreaths of cranberries.


Knitting with toothpicks was fun!




These little pinecone elves were easy to make
with some hot glue.



I also used plain pine cones


and shells collected from Silver Sands Beach last summer.


 My favorite ornaments to make were these
Santa gnomes!




Maddie is all-natural and makes any spot in the
house prettier!


I've started collecting these whimsical
Swedish Christmas gnomes which
I have placed around the house.




 Wrapping is simple and organic too.


And candles never fail to warm up the atmosphere.





 Outside we have lights (especially for Adam, the light king).


Giant sugar pine cones on the door.


Pine boughs and pepperberries on the front step.


 A wrapped box on the front bench.


This is the first year I've put lights in my garden in the back yard.
They are controlled by a remote so I can turn them on and off
from inside the house.  This is what I see out my kitchen window!

The stage is set.
But the house is waiting for the finishing touches:
Adam, Kerry, and Annie.

Then it will really be "home".








No comments:

Post a Comment