For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Gotta Love Those Buttes!


After hiking the Grand Canyon in the morning, 
we had lunch and headed 2 hours north
to our next destination.  
I very much wanted to visit Antelope Canyon in Page, AZ.

The road was long, flat and mostly straight 
with long stretches of nothing with very few cars,
so Vance took this opportunity to see 
how fast the rental car could accelerate.



The landscape was barren with many buttes and mesas.
It was nice to visit,  but I wouldn't want to live there!


The brilliant blue sky against the red stone was very striking.


When we got to the hotel, one of the first things I did 
was find out where to go to see the sunset and sunrise.
I was very excited when the woman at the desk told me
about Horseshoe Bend for sunset.  I have seen pictures
before, but I didn't realize it was here!


It was getting close to sunset, and my very special husband
 came with me.We needed to hike for about 15 minutes 
on a sand and sandstone path to get there.


There were lots of other people with the same idea. 


Horseshoe Bend is a place where the Colorado River 
flows arounda sharp bend in the shape of a horse shoe.
I didn't realize the viewing area was on the edge of the cliffs 
surrounding the bend.  Photographers with tripods lined the cliffs, 
sometimes so close to the edge that I would have feared 
my camera would get accidentally knocked into the abyss.


You HAD TO  get on the edge in order to see the river.  
I didn't feel safe standing up, but sitting was fine.



Vance chose to stand back on solid ground.



The sunset wasn't very colorful, but I loved being here in this lovely spot!


As we were walking back to the car,  I loved watching
 this person posing on one of the rocks!

The town of Page is not a very busy place this time of year.
We had dinner at the motel restaurant and went to bed early.
I set my alarm to get up for sunrise.


The buttes and mesas made for a very beautiful sunrise.  
Navajo Mountain is in the background.


I was driving on Lake Shore Drive along the shores of Lake Powell.



The rock formations are so interesting in silouette.





As the sun rose over Navajo Mountain,  the smoke 
from the stacks turned from grey to a deep orange!


The boats in the water are all houseboats waiting 
to be rented to cruise on gorgeous Lake Powell, 
which is the 2nd largest man-made lake in the country.


Lake Powell is the reservoir of the Glen Canyon Dam.


As I observed the changing light and shadows on the buttes and mesas,
I felt a true appreciation for their beauty!

And with the sun fully risen,  I headed back for breakfast with my husband
before heading to Lower Antelope Canyon!

No comments:

Post a Comment