For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Sunday, March 23, 2014

Birthday Wishes!

I woke up this morning with anticipation for an exciting day ahead of me!  A flight to Nashville with my daughter, Kerry, and a fun day exploring a place I've never visited.  Kerry has a job interview tomorrow morning and I decided to go with her for moral support (and enjoyment too).

As I was getting ready this morning, I smelled a familiar scent.  I recognized it immediately, without wondering even for a millisecond its origin.  Due to my apprehension about flying, I thought for a second it could be an omen or warning of some sort.    But I was in a hurry to get to the airport and refused to indulge my paranoia any further.

I was meeting up with Kerry in Philadelphia to continue on the same flight into Nashville.  My first flight was smooth and easy.  Once I'm actually in the air, my fears seem to go away.  After we began the descent into Philly, I put away my book and closed my eyes.  It was then that I noticed the same scent as earlier.  Hmmmm.  I paid more attention to it this time. I breathed it in,  a warm, comfortable feeling enveloping me.  I didn't know why it was happening, but I knew it had nothing to do with any kind of omen.  There was also a feeling of warmth on my left shoulder.

The plane landed and I turned my cell phone back on. In the next second, it buzzed.  Kerry was calling me.  As I looked at my phone to answer her call, I noticed the date.  March 23.  NOW I understood! 

Today is my dad's birthday!

He's been gone almost 5 years.  

His scent is a mixture of his after-shave and his sweat - at least that's what I think.  It's unmistakeable. And unforgettable.

Maybe, while you're here, Dad, you can share some of your never-ending confidence and support with Kerry!  And Lori. And Adam, Annie, Mikey, Emily and Hali.  You are needed and you are missed!

Happy birthday, Dad!  I love you!  

On this day when we should be honoring YOU with presents, you have given me the greatest gift of all!








No comments:

Post a Comment