For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Friday, June 14, 2013

So Many Changes...

There is a certain peace that comes with stability.  All is well.  My world is good. Predictable.  Safe.

There is an excitement that comes with change.  Growth. Surprise. Goodness that was unexpected.

This past month, there have been a lot of changes.  Most of them good, like the blossoming of my garden, Adam's graduation, Kerry's new job, Annie's upcoming graduation.

But not all change is good.



These are our neighbors, Cindy and Jared.  They have lived across the street from us for the past 5 years.  You might remember them by their pets...

Taylor

Boomer

and, last but not least, Farrah.

When I found out a few months ago that they were moving to Chicago, I was sad.

Cindy was not just a neighbor.  She was is a friend.

We are very different. She is very unique.  Cindy is from New York City.  I don't think I have ever seen her in a pair of jeans (although she wore her pajamas quite often!) When I see her dressed to go out, she is stylish - city stylish. Her nails are always done nicely. Makeup perfect. Her house was always very clean too.  She doesn't have any children other than Boomer, Taylor and Farrah. She and her husband, Jared, live a young, carefree lifestyle.

No matter how different we are outwardly, we are very similar on the inside.  And that is what makes a friendship.  Without even trying, she makes me smile.



They moved to Chicago a few weeks ago and we have new neighbors - a young couple, newly married.  They seem like nice people too.

But I will forever miss Cindy's quirkiness and gentle spirit across the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment