For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Thursday, May 23, 2013

Her Senior Prom

One more event on the road to graduation has come and gone.
Annie's Senior prom.

Before I tell you about Annie's night, let me do a quick flashback to the
evening of my Senior prom.


You see, I didn't go to my prom.  It was tradition in our school for high school friends to rent camps near the lake the week before graduation.  One of my friends family owned a little camp (cottage) so a bunch of us girls stayed there together.  We were the nerdy group who had fun no matter what we were doing.  On prom night, we had some friends over to our camp and had a "party" - soda, chips, music.
This is a picture of my friends Charlene, Kae, and me pretending to booze it up!  I am on the right.  Don't ask me why we had orange life jackets on. I also wore my flannel nightgown (nights in VT were still cool) and knee socks, a shawl, sunglasses and my graduation cap.

Let's jump from 1977 to 2013.


Annie looked quite different on her prom night!


She was also getting together with her friends.



And family!


The BEST thing about prom night in our town is how all the kids gather together on the town green before prom with their families, friends and teachers so everyone can see the kids and take pictures.




Past graduates come back to visit.





It's really nice that teachers come and take pictures with the students


Even the principal is a part of the excitement!


Kerry met up with her high school friends too.




When they got into the limo and drove away, the excitement was over for us, but just beginning for them.  There was a sleepover after the prom followed by a whole day at the beach.  When we saw her again the next night she was exhausted, but she had a lot of fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment