For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Family Ties

Growing up, my cousins were a HUGE part of my life.

My mom had 4 brothers and 1 sister, all living in the same town.
And they all had kids - one brother had 9 children!

We spent many fun and happy times together as children - holidays, camping in the summer almost every weekend,  caravans from Vermont to Florida every year during winter break, and a very memorable trip to Washington DC.  Due to the wide range of ages, the older cousins  tended to be close, as did the younger ones.

The years went on.  Many of us moved away.  We got married and had our own families.
My limited time when I went home was focused on spending time with my parents.

My parents are gone now.  So are many of my aunts and uncles.

Last week,  my cousin Danny died unexpectedly.  He was only a year older than me.

I drove home for the wake and funeral and stayed with my cousin, Kevin.
During the day that I was home, I got a chance to talk with quite a few of my cousins, remembering old times and catching up a little on our lives today.

But there was one cousin that I got to know a lot more during my stay.
I knew him as a child.  I got to know him as an adult.
I found out how loved he is by so many people.
I discovered what a difference he made in the lives of his nieces and nephews.
I learned about his love of music, and got a chance to listen to some of his favorite songs.
I met some of the people that call him their friend and brother.

I came to realize what a great man Danny was.
Only it was a little too late.

As the luncheon after the funeral was winding down,  there was much talk among the cousins about getting together this summer during happier times.  With so many of us living in many different parts of the country,  it will be hard to pull off.

But I really hope it happens.



No comments:

Post a Comment