For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Friday, February 10, 2017

Ode to Winter


I truly, beyond a shadow of a doubt, LOVE winter.
More than that,  I NEED winter.


The cool, crisp air of a winter day energizes me.


Unlike the majority of people in my life (and the world)
the heat and humidity of the summer bring me down.
By the middle to the end of the summer,  
I experience a sort of depression.


Every year in the spring,  I am full of hope and excitement
to work in my garden and reap the benefits of its beauty.
As the heat of the summer builds,  I tell myself this year will be different.


I tell myself that it's mind over matter. 
I get up early to walk the dogs before the sun is beating down,
yet I still come home each morning drenched in sweat
from the humidity in the morning air.


My garden looks lovely until mid-July when I find
it harder and harder to force myself out into the heat,
longing for the change of seasons.
Air conditioning helps me keep my sanity,
but also holds me prisoner.


If you want to make me happy,  send me a snowstorm.
I love to shovel!
I rush outside before my husband has the chance 
to run the snowblower.  
If I don't make it outside before him,
I instruct him to leave me some snow to shovel.


I believe my dogs feel the same as I feel.
They have a spring in their step in the winter
and are able to walk farther and faster.




I also love to run in the winter.  Like the dogs,
I am able to run farther and faster in the cold.


There are so many other gifts the winter sends my way.


Nothing beats soaking in a hot bath,
or a steamy cup of hot cocoa,


or hiking in the woods without worrying about
mosquitos or ticks.


Of course,  I love wearing winter clothing too,
especially bright colors!  
And if you're having a bad hair day,  
just throw on a hat!



Then there are those days when the thermometer 
creeps above 60 degrees
and 
you get to shed your jacket, hat, and gloves!


My husband hates the winter and loves the summer.  
I just don't get it, but I accept it.
I think maybe it's a biological thing. 
He always needs more blankets on the bed than I do.
He can sit on the beach without going in the water to cool down.


As so many of my generation are making plans 
to relocate to warmer climates,
I would not choose to go that route. 

Two years ago,  we were on vacation in Hawaii for two weeks 
at the end of January.  While we were gone, the Northeast 
was hit with one snowstorm after another.  
I remember feeling sad that I was missing out!


We got well over a foot of snow yesterday!  


I'm feeling great!


There's nothing like a good Nor'easter to bring a smile to my face!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post. I love snow too but, sadly, we've had no more than a sprinkling this year. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Winter's not over yet! There's still plenty of time for a snowstorm!

      Delete